Bitstamp is one of the longest-running exchanges in the world–they’ve kept it simple and as a result have picked up some excellent connections in the industry. They work closely with Coinbase, one of the biggest and best exchanges. They’ve attracted investment from Pantera Capital, a fairly major Bitcoin-specific venture capital investor, owned in part by Benchmark, Fortress Investment Group, and Ribbit Capital.
The short of it? If you’re looking for a good, simple place to buy and sell Bitcoin securely, and you’re Europe-based, Bitstamp is one of the best options you have available.
The downside? They only do BTC and they have slightly high fees if you’re a casual buyer.
The upside? They’re trusted more than competing European exchange BTC-e.
- BitcoinWisdom recently switched to using them as the default exchange
- ~10-20K BTC/day, fairly high liquidity
- Recently improved fee structure: starting at a slightly-high 0.25% and moving down to an excellent 0.1% as volume increases
- UK-based with an excellent team and offices in Luxembourg and the US
- With the fall of MtGox, they’ve taken up the position of banner-bearer–and they’ve carried it excellently so far.
- Reputable, quick withdrawal timers, good KYC/AML work
- Solid volume and liquidity
- Works with Coinbase, granting additional legitimacy
- Slightly above-average fees if you’re under $600,000 USD volume per 30 days
- Only BTC/USD